Saturday, March 7, 2015

Starting to look like a quilt!

Had to take a photo of my design wall with my TWENTY anvil blocks on it since the sun finally came out yesterday and I think they deserve a blog post, but I am going to have to start digging through my Civil War fabric stash to see if I have enough fabric to back the 24 blocks I will have when I finish using up the pieces I got at that quilt shop all those years ago since I'm getting close to being ready to start quilting!





I will feel a bit sad when all my blocks are sewn together since I've really enjoyed working this way, not having to decide what fabrics or patterns to use, but rather following the instructions for this one block (nice to get into a rhythm and not have to think about what you are doing) and using all the pretty fabrics I got each month at the Flying Geese Quilt Shop (something I definitely prefer to choosing my own fabrics and making my usual mistakes with my choices). 

I'm not sure I would have chosen a lot of the fabric in my kits, esp. not the stripes that ended up being off kilter in most of my blocks since I only had a certain amount of fabric to work with and couldn't always orient things in the proper way, but I actually kind of like the way the blocks end up looking as a result of that limitation, more like the way a real Civil War quilt might have looked when people were having to "make do" with whatever fabric they had. 

The block below (obviously unpressed) is my least favorite since everything is so uneven, but even it has a certain "charm", at least to me, a far cry from the days where I thought everything had to be perfect, fabric, seams, etc., while now close is usually good enough.




Don't think I have any more packets left in my BOM stash since I'm pretty sure I used up all the other kits I was given for other projects I purchased in the past, I just never sewed them together since I didn't collect enough blocks for a quilt, but it will be a long time before I am ready to tackle another project, especially since I am having fun working at a slow pace for a change, so I am just going to continue to enjoy this quilt for a while longer.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great and is surely does look like a quilt now! It is beautiful, I really like it! 20 minutes a day is truly "something" isn't it? : )

    ReplyDelete