Monday, March 3, 2014

February jacket collar and edge

Not quite done with my Feb. MAGAM entry even though I already sent in a photo, so thought I'd share what I've been trying to do to finish it so I can start working on my March garment.

To prove what a novice I am at clothes sewing, when I wanted to try doing some twin needle pintucks on the neck of my new white sweatshirt jacket this morning, I had no idea how to do that, even though I've often read about twin needle stitching in the past, proof that I need to DO rather than just read about things I've not tried before.

I had to do quite a bit of experimenting before I could figure out how to thread the machine and adjust the tension before I could start sewing those pintucks, but am fairly happy with the way it turned out, however am now debating about whether I should add even more pintucks since the collar is still kind of wide and doesn't stand up quite as much as I'd like.








I also did some experimenting with how I was going to finish the edge of this jacket, even though I'm still not entirely sure I want to do anything since that might make it much less drapey, but it does look kind of unfinished as it is.I definitely can't just do the blanket stitch around the outside as I had planned, though, since this fabric is so flimsy that the edges don't lie flat at all when I use that stitch on the outside edge. Know I could put some kind of washaway stabilizer under it, but don't think the stitching would show enough to make that worth doing.


Think I'm going to see if I have some off white yarn that I can couch along the edge as I did with one of my old polar fleece jackets, but I need to use thin yarn so it's not as obvious as the thick fuzzy stuff I used on my other jacket. I hope I have something like that in my stash since I hate to have to go out and buy things when I already own so much, but I usually can "shop" in my own house rather than in a store thanks to my huge stash of sewing related items, including the twin needles that I bought ages ago but I never even opened until today.

No comments:

Post a Comment