Friday, March 28, 2014

Ponte Roma One Seam Pants success!

I'm afraid Louise Cutting wouldn't be impressed by the One Seam Pants that I made from her pattern using my JoAnn's Ponte Roma knit fabric, but since she is going to be doing some classes for our Albany ASG group this coming weekend, I decided to make a pair of these pants for my March Garment a Month Challenge because my original Barb Callahan Damask Jacket doesn't need to be finished until I take a class with her at the Worcester Expo next week, so that jacket is going to be my April challenge garment.

When I first made this pair of pants, they were so big that I almost could put two legs in one pants leg, but I am quite happy with the my pants fit after I went back and made some changes to the pattern yesterday (lowered the waistline, shortened the hem, and took 1" out of the center of the pants leg since there's no side seam) because they are now much more like the fairly straight legged pants that I like to wear rather than the looser pajama type pants that I think that pattern was originally supposed to produce. Louise later provided a pdf file with instructions on how to change that on her website, though, so I guess I'm not the only one who doesn't like wide legged pants.

I also want to try making these pants in rayon and will have to reduce the amount I took out of the width in order to do that since that fabric doesn't stretch and I'd also like to make pants that look more like her original design, but think first I am going to use some of my Arlene's tracing paper to make a copy of this pattern the way it is since I can see myself making lots of straight legged one seam knit pants, esp from JoAnn's Ponte Roma, since it worked so well this time. Based on my experience with the pieces of Ponte Roma I have bought at JoAnn's, though, there's no telling if the other pieces in my stash will work the same.

I was pleased to discover a box full of rayon fabric in my stash this morning along with quite a few other pieces of rayon that were kind of "hidden" on my shelves since I've long avoided working with this kind of fabric as I have working with knits since both are far more difficult than the much more stable fabrics that I usually use for my clothes, but since I do like WEARING clothes made from rayon and knits, I'm just going to have to learn how to sew them, and thanks to my wonderful Pfaff's dual feed foot, I feel like I have a much better chance of doing that than I did when trying to sew Ponte Roma on my Bernina, even with the walking foot attached.

2 comments:

  1. Suzanne, I think your fit is a lot better than the ones I made. Hope you get the fit you need in class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Ponte Roma pair didn't turn out nearly as well as the ones made from rayon and my stretch denim pair have too much fullness in the front crotch area, both things that make me feel that choosing the right fabric for these pants can make or break them. Maybe you should try using a different fabric, something drapey like rayon, and see how that works?

      Delete