Saturday, January 31, 2015

On to block two / Musical sewing machines

I cut out and marked the second block of my Civil War repro quilt yesterday, but also spent time playing musical sewing machines so I'd be all set to go when I completed the hand piecing part of this block.

I've been a sewing machine collector for many years, started when I bought my first Singer Featherweight and joined the online FWFanatics email digest, a group that made me think it was normal to own multiple sewing machines, but I eventually stopped counting just how many machines I own when it began to appall even me.

I don't use many of my old machines anymore, though, prefer to sew on my new (to me) machines, like my Pfaff 1473 for machine piecing, my Bernina 1230 for machine quilting, and my Bernina 170 for some machine sewing and also machine embroidery projects.

I like to leave my machines set up and ready to go when I am since I know I'd be less likely to sew if I had to take the time to get things ready when I wanted to start sewing, so I also own multiple sewing machine cabinets, but I put different machines in different cabinets depending on what type of sewing I am doing.

At the moment, I have my Pfaff set up in the living room (where it's nice and warm!) so I can piece my quilt blocks on that.




 I moved my Bernina 1230 up into my son's old room where I have lots of space to sew and can work on either a larger quilt or one of my clothes sewing projects (note the "vintage" computer in the background!).





I have my Bernina 170 set up with its embroidery unit attached on top of yet another cabinet in case I want to do machine embroidery, but since my embroidery software and reader/writer box no longer work with my new computer, I may not be using this machine for a while.





I have plenty of other projects to work on, though, esp. my Civil War repro BOM quilt, which is finally moving towards completion after waiting patiently in its box for so many years.

1 comment:

  1. Well placed machines, Sue! I love those batik DJ blocks behind one of your machines, very pretty!
    Onward to DaGMT!

    ReplyDelete