Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Yet more BOMs...

I once made a calendar holder with a place for a quilt block on top from an old Quiltmaker's magazine, think maybe in the late 1990s, and as a result, I  made a block a month for a very long time so have a huge collection of unfinished blocks.

My last post focused on the smaller, older block sets, while the ones in this entry are more recent (in my world) and hopefully are big enough to turn into lap sized quilts that I might actually use.


The first blocks were part of another year long BOM class at a local quilt shop that is no longer in business, where I believe each month you received the pattern and fabric for a block for a minimal fee and also had a class on how to make each block. Don't have a record of when these blocks were made, though, as usual.







The larger batik blocks on my design wall were also made in a year long class at the old Flying Geese quilt shop, I believe in 2010, so it was very appropriate that all these blocks were made from various flying geese quilt patterns. The smaller batik blocks were from an exchange I did with friends who had once exchanged traditional Dear Jane blocks, using the same traditional patterns with very non traditional fabric. I think the sets of blocks work quite well together, though, and should make a nice lap quilt once I add some black sashing in between the blocks.






Below is another BOM from the Flying Geese quilt shop, I think in 2011, but this time you were given enough fabric each month to make two Civil War repro blocks using the same pattern each time. I think I have enough of that fabric left to make 18 more blocks, so this might even end up being a quilt that is big enough for a bed, esp. if I add borders. These blocks were hand pieced, though, and since I'd kind of like to keep doing that, it may be quite some time before this is ready to be put on a bed!






These blocks look much better in person than they do in this photo, all from a BOM book that I purchased at a local quilt show, in 2008 when I was started to get interested in less traditional quilt blocks, and each month you used a different technique to make a different block, so this project was a lot of fun. I actually made all 12 of these blocks in the book plus bought the fabric to go in between them, but think it was the end of the bolt so I didn't have quite enough fabric to set the blocks the way the book instructed, adn that is probably why they are still unfinished. Might try doing something different, though, to get these blocks out of a box and on a bed/couch.






Hard as it is to believe, I still have MORE calendar holder blocks in my stash, so may get them out eventually, too, but this is depressing enough already, makes me feel like it will be impossible to ever finish them, but hopefully if I stick to the 20 minute a day plan, I'll at least make SOME progress in Feb.2015, once I figure out what I want to work on first...         

No comments:

Post a Comment